Vehicle seizure notices
We have the power to seize a vehicle, trailer or mobile plant and its contents if we think it is being, or will be used, in waste crimes such as fly-tipping.
When we can seize a vehicle
- used to illegally dump waste (fly-tipping) in a way that could cause pollution to the environment or harm to human health
- driven by someone not registered as a waste carrier
- used to transfer waste to someone not registered as a waste carrier
- used at a site that is breaking the rules of an environmental permit
Vehicles we have seized
We must make information about the vehicles we seize available to the public for at least 15 days.There are currently no vehicle seizure notices.
Claim your vehicle
To claim your vehicle you must be the legal owner. To prove this you must send a copy of:
- the V5C vehicle registration document in your name with your correct address
- the current certificate of motor insurance in your name with your correct address.
You must also send a copy of your driving licence as proof of identity. Email your documents to email@example.com or post them to:
Environmental Enforcement Team
Dacorum Borough Council
We will agree whether you are the owner or not within three working days. If we decide not to investigate further or prosecute, you will have 10 working days to collect your vehicle.
You must bring original versions of your documents with you when you collect the vehicle.
If we decide to investigate or prosecute
We can keep your vehicle in storage for up to 15 working days if we need to investigate an offence. We may keep it longer to continue an investigation or if we decide to prosecute.
If our investigation shows that your vehicle was used for a waste crime, we will always consider prosecuting you.
We will keep your vehicle during the court process. If the court decides that you have committed a waste crime, it may take away your vehicle permanently.