Health and safety - workplace inspections
We inspect workplaces to:
- check that there are practices and procedures in place to keep employees safe
- make sure that employers follow health and safety law.
How often we inspect
We only inspect workplaces where we are responsible for enforcing health and safety law. How often we visit depends on:
- the hazards associated with the type of work carried out in each place
- the hazards posed to employers, employees and members of the public.
Key areas to focus on
As an employer, the key health and safety issues you should focus on include:
- slips and trips
- working at height
- workplace transport
- work-related stress
- asbestos health and safety
The Health and Safety Executive has more information on the legal requirements and advice on how to stay safe in the workplace.