Health and safety at work
As an employer, it is your responsibility to make your workplace safe for your employees and visitors.
What we do
We ensure your health and safety arrangements meet the legal requirements by:
- carrying out workplace inspections
- investigating accidents at work
- investigating complaints about workplace conditions.
Businesses we are responsible for
We work alongside the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to enforce health and safety laws.
- consumer services in shops, such as shoe repairers
- catering establishments, including cafes and restaurants
- warehouses storing goods for wholesale or retail distribution
- childcare facilities such as nurseries and playgroups
- hotels, guest houses, camp sites and caravan sites
- tyre and exhaust fitting establishments
- office activities
- animal accommodation including kennels, catteries, stables and zoos
- health clubs and leisure activities such as theatres, cinemas, and nightclubs
- therapeutic treatment centres including massage, tanning and aromatherapy
- display and sale of goods at an exhibition
- churches and religious meeting halls
- wet and dry cleaning businesses
The HSE covers
- the construction industry
- government offices
- transport network.
You can find more advice, guidance and information on the legislation on the HSE website.