Challenging the banding of your property

We do not decide what Council Tax band is set for your property. This is a decision made by the Valuation Office Agency.

Information about how you can challenge your Council Tax band is available on the Government website.

Appeals against payment of Council Tax

You can appeal to us if you consider that you should not have to pay Council Tax or if you think you are paying too much. This may be because you are not the resident or owner, or because your property is exempt, or that we have made a mistake in calculating your bill. If you wish to appeal on these grounds, you should notify us in writing at the address shown below.

If you are appealing against your Council Tax, you should continue to pay your bill in the meantime.

Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment.

If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a full refund of any overpaid tax.

Contact us

Phone: 01442 228000
Dacorum Borough Council
Council Tax Section
The Forum
Hemel Hempstead

Page Last Updated: Thursday, 11 August 2022 at 09:16 AM