Hertfordshire Year of Culture 2020
Culture is taking centre stage during 2020, as part of a year-long campaign to showcase Hertfordshire’s creative opportunities.
To find out more, visit the HYOC2020 website, where you can sign up to the mailing list for news and updates. You can also follow @HYOC2020 on Instagram, Twitter and @HertsYOC2020 on Facebook to keep up to date with the campaign as it develops. #HYOC2020
Activities and events
Coronavirus (COVID-19): If you are planning to attend any #HYOC2020 events, please first check with the event organiser and consider the Government guidelines before attending. There is more guidance on the Hertfordshire County Council website.
November's theme is Creative Minds and Creative Industries
Look out for information about the Creative Industries in Hertfordshire and Creative Careers on the HYOC2020 social media channels: @hyoc2020 #HOC2020. This month will also have a focus on World Kindness Day, National Novel Writing Month and Stress Awareness Week.
- Rotary Young Photographer and Dacorum Young Artists: Berkhamsted Rotary - The Rotary has two competitions running for creative young people in Dacorum. The Young Photographer competition has a theme of 'Wild Nature' and is for those aged 7 to 17 years. Dacorum Young Artists competition enables local schools to encourage the artistic talents of their Year 4 and 5 pupils. See the website for details and submission dates.
- Nothing on Earth: Pursued By A Bear theatre and film company -The fifth piece in the Nothing on Earth Shorts film series is called ‘How To Take Off’. It premiered on the University of Hertfordshire Arts website on 4th November 2020 and is now also available to watch here. Look out for the final film based on stories by Dacorum residents coming in December!
- Tring Book Festival - Author events this month include Jon Nicol, Ben Macintyre and Ollie Ollerton. For the latest news and festival updates, check out the website and social media pages - @TringBookFest.
- Creative Connections for men living in Dacorum - Herts Viewpoint is offering men with mental health and/or addiction challenges an opportunity to join art and creative expression sessions, including art, poetry, music and creative writing. The sessions are delivered via Zoom and fully interactive.
- New Leaf College: Creativity and Wellbeing Courses - Creative courses this month include Writing Creatively for Wellbeing, Art Expression for Wellbeing and Wellbeing and Creativity. Courses are delivered on Zoom and fully interactive. Click on the link for course details.
Coming up in December...
- Active Dacorum's 12 Days of Christmas - Join the Active Dacorum team for 12 days of online festive fun. From 1-12 December we'll be posting a short Christmas-themed activity each day on the Active Dacorum Facebook page that you can do at home and with your family.
- The Big Light Up: Electric Umbrella - You're invited to The Big Light Up with Electric Umbrella on Monday 14 December at 1.30pm, to celebrate the learning disabled community across Hertfordshire. Grab some tinsel, a couple of mince pies, and bring your festive cheer and celebrate in true Electric Umbrella style. Complete the online form to join this free event.
- Rotary Hemel Hempstead Santa Sleigh - Santa Sleigh is planning to travel round the streets of Dacorum again this year, collecting for local charities. See its Facebook page to review maps and check the dates of routes, plus details on how to donate electronically and 'track' Santa on the night.
To stay up to date with events and activities in Dacorum, visit the Active Dacorum Twitter and Facebook accounts.
For activities and events countywide, please visit the 'What's On' and 'What's Online' pages at Creative Hertfordshire or find events online by using the hashtag #HYOC2020
Coronavirus (COVID-19) funding opportunities
A number of organisations and funding bodies have announced financial support for community organisations, groups and individuals in responding to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. For more information, please visit our external funding page.
How you can get involved in HYOC2020
You can download an activity form to let us know any plans that you have, and you'll be sent a Herts Year of Culture toolkit with the logo, information and resources to promote your event. Visit the HYOC2020 website for details.
More events and activities across the county
For more events and activities in Dacorum and around the county, please visit the main HYOC2020 'What's On' events listing or find events and information online by using the hashtag #HYOC2020.
For further information about the county campaign, please email HYOC2020 Project Co-ordinator, Liz Gore, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information about HYOC2020 in Dacorum, please email email@example.com.
HYOC2020 is supported by all 11 Hertfordshire local authorities. The Programme Board has additional representation from the University of Hertfordshire, Visit Herts and Trestle Theatre Company.